We recently came across a post on Facebook about a dog being poisoned by essential oils - tea tree oil being one of the worst. Someone had gone out and left their diffuser on. When they returned, their dog was very poorly. His symptoms were - disorientation and confusion. Thankfully the dog in question is in recovery because of the quick treatment he received, but not all are so lucky. The vets are saying that they are seeing more and more of these cases as the popularity of essential oils continues to grow.
Essential oils can contain ingredients that are toxic to dogs and cats so pet owners need to be aware of harmful products and know what the signs are to spot if their pet has come in to contact with the product.
Level of toxicity
Generally moderate to severe, life-threatening.
Common signs to watch out for
Symptoms of tea tree oil poisoning can vary from animal to animal and are dependent on the quantity ingested:
Treatment will depend on the severity of the toxicity. If your dog or cat has been exposed to tea tree oil, call your vet or Pet Poison helpline immediately for advice. You should hydrate your pet so that he/she may respond better to treatment.
With quick and proper treatment, your pet should have a good chance of recovery.
This article considers that False eyelash adhesives are not classified as cosmetics in the EU, but should instead follow the General Product Safety Directive and the CLP.
| by James Wakefield |
Posted 18th December 2017
The safety assessment of cosmetic raw materials is very important – it helps formulators to develop a safe product at the very early stage of product development.
Posted 31st October 2016